Wayne State University

Aim Higher

University Advising Center

Policy on Academic Probation

What is Academic Probation?

Earning a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 results in academic probation. Being placed on academic probation is a signal that you need to reassess your educational priorities, investigate support services, or adjust your study habits and techniques. It is important to recognize the warning signs of academic difficulty early in the term so you can seek the appropriate help or make adjustments to your course load or study habits. There are many resources on campus to assist you.

If you continue to earn a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.0 or fail to make progress toward your degree by withdrawing from classes or earning marks of "D", "E", "F", "WF" or "X" for three semesters or more, you will be excluded from the university. This means you will be blocked from registering at Wayne State University for one calendar year. At the end of this year you may apply for reinstatement to the university. Reinstatement is not guaranteed and your application may be denied.

How do I get off Academic Probation?

You will need to raise your cumulative GPA to a 2.0 or higher to return to regular status. Meet with your academic advisor to assess your individual situation and determine what will be required to achieve a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

Go to STARS.wayne.edu and run the GPA calculator to see what grades you need in your current courses to achieve a 2.0 cumulative GPA.

How can I register for classes while on academic probation?

You must make an appointment with an academic advisor, who will evaluate your situation, assist you in developing a plan for academic success and permit your registration.

Is there any limit on when I can meet with an advisor who can permit my registration while on academic probation?

The probation status which blocks your registration may be changed up to the day before classes begin for any given term. Registration for students with a probation status will not be permitted by the advising staff once classes have begun. Because such registration is permitted for one term only, if you continue on academic probation, you must meet with an advisor each term to permit registration for a future term.